Wednesday 20 March 2013

Remembering Rachel Corrie


“We are all born and someday we’ll all die. Most likely to some degree alone. What if our aloneness isn’t a tragedy? What if our aloneness is what allows us to speak the truth without being afraid? What if our aloneness is what allows us to adventure – to experience the world as a dynamic presence – as a changeable, interactive thing?

If I lived in Bosnia or Rwanda or who knows where else, needless death wouldn’t be a distant symbol to me, it wouldn’t be a metaphor, it would be a reality.

And I have no right to this metaphor. But I use it to console myself. To give a fraction of meaning to something enormous and needless.

This realization. This realization that I will live my life in this world where I have privileges.

I can’t cool boiling waters in Russia. I can’t be Picasso. I can’t be Jesus. I can’t save the planet single-handedly.

I can wash dishes”
Rachel Corrie, January 2003, two months before she died




Just over ten years ago Rachel Corrie was crushed to death by an Israeli Defence Forces armoured bulldozer, whilst attempting to prevent it from demolishing the house of a Palestinian family in the Gaza Strip. She was twenty three years old at the time.

Comparisons have naturally been made to 'Tank Man', the man who obstructed the movement of Chinese tanks at the time of the Tiananmen Square Massacre. But where as this photograph has become iconic




Chances are this is the first time you've seen this one.  This Israeli bulldozer will crush Rachel to death in a few moments time




Here's an interview with Rachel Corrie recorded in Gaza just days before she was killed.




Link to the Rachel Corrie Foundation, the foundation established by Rachel Corrie's parents after her death:
http://rachelcorriefoundation.org/


You can 'like' Deep State News on facebook and receive notification of all the posts at:

No comments:

Post a Comment